Thursday, September 12, 2013

Run for Cancer

So, as brief aside from my Team in Training mission, I was diagnosed with a {really} mild form of skin cancer in August. I think pale is probably a better look than a bunch of these. I also think the amount of information and the difficulty of the biopsy was slightly ridiculous. Even for a "simple" cancer that is basically sitting on the surface of my skin, they couldn't definitively tell if it was cancer. They had to dig out the whole thing to confirm. Not to mention the cost of this "simple" procedure. If I didn't have insurance, I would have paid thousands for the biopsy, test, and Mohs-method removal. Many of us will get a form of cancer in this life. I hope that when any of my friends face it, there will be more treatments or cures than there are today. So let's work on that; let's make that someday TODAY. Also, wear sunscreen out there guys. It's worth it. 

I have a mission - to help find cures and more effective treatments for blood cancers. As a part of that mission, I’m participating in the Nike Women's Half Marathon as a member of The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Team In Training. I've dedicated this race to my friend's father who was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia this past year. Together we can advance the cures and treatments available for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, and myeloma.

To get an idea of what you and LLS can fund:

  • $25 Patients chemotherapy drug prescription co-pay.
  • $50 Registration costs for a bone marrow donor.
  • $75 Provide bone marrow typing for a family member of a patient with leukemia.
  • $100 Provide a patient with transportation costs from home to cancer treatment center.
  • $250 Patient aid reimbursement grant for one year.

Any donation, even $5, can contribute towards research and assisting patients. Donations can be made right here. You are making a difference to someone.

Thank you.
Aubrey

I'd like to offer special thanks to: 

No comments:

Post a Comment